Mother’s heartbreak after child swallows battery, dies: ‘It didn’t must occur’

Texas mom Trista Hamsmith misplaced her 17-month-old daughter, Reese, in December as a consequence of problems from swallowing a battery — and he or she’s doing her half to make sure the toddler didn’t die in useless.

“Youngsters are dying,” Hamsmith, 39, instructed the “At the moment” present. “We’ve obtained to do every part we will to get this data to folks and put stress on the business to make modifications to guard the youngsters.”

Hamsmith, who lives in Lubbock, seen that Reese, who was usually a energetic character, started wheezing. She was additionally congested and torpid, and a pediatrician mentioned croup — an upper-airway an infection that typically impacts youngsters — was the trigger.

Not lengthy after, Hamsmith seen a button battery had gone lacking from a distant management; later, at an area emergency room, medical doctors confirmed that Reese had swallowed it, and it burned a gap in her esophagus.

“This story must be instructed,” Hamsmith added. “It didn’t must occur.”

Reese was out and in of the hospital with two surgical procedures and air flow beneath sedation earlier than dying in December.
Pray for Reese Hamsmith/Fb

Dr. Emily Durkin, the medical director of kids’s surgical procedure at Helen DeVos Youngsters’s Hospital in Grand Rapids, Mich. — who didn’t deal with Reese — instructed “At the moment” that swallowed batteries may cause critical hurt in the event that they lodge within the esophagus, which has two slim ends.

“Should you get a slim, flat, pancake-like button battery that will get caught at one among these pure narrowings, then the entrance wall of the esophagus collapses towards the button battery and the again wall,” she mentioned. “[This] completes that circuit, and the electrical present really flows by the esophageal tissues. And when that occurs, it begins to kill the tissues on the burn.”

Reese was known for her bubbly personality.
Reese was identified for her bubbly persona.
Pray for Reese Hamsmith/Fb

Reese had surgical procedure in October, then returned residence. However a number of days later, she returned to the emergency room after extra problems arose.

“We came upon {that a} fistula had been created, which is sort of a passageway,” Hamsmith mentioned. “There was a gap burned by her trachea and thru her esophagus. When that tunnel fashioned, it was permitting air to go the place it didn’t must be. Meals and drinks additionally went the place they didn’t have to go.”

Reese died on Dec. 17, 2020.
Reese died on Dec. 17, 2020.
Pray for Reese Hamsmith/Fb

From that time ahead, Reese had a feeding tube and was sedated on a ventilator. She even wanted one other surgical procedure, then needed to obtain CPR twice after falling into misery. That second time led to Reese’s demise on Dec. 17, 2020.

Now, Hamsmith is asking for motion, demanding producers make safer batteries and Congress tackle it. She additionally hopes that producers could make safer system covers, like having batter-storage compartments secured by screws, so as to add a layer of security for youngsters.

“We simply want safer batteries,” she mentioned.